HOLY WEEK BEGINS
The Season of Lent ends– Palm Sunday and the Season of Holy Week begin. Let’s plan on making this the holiest and most spiritual week of the year by participating in our Holy Week celebrations.
· Holy Thursday: we will begin at 7:00 pm in Holy Name Church. There will be a coin offering for the poor and the needy. Bring a candle in an upside down plastic bottle to carry in our prayerful candlelight procession to St. Hedwig. Parents could provide safety lights or battery operated candles for the children to carry instead of candles. Those who have trouble walking can meet us at St. Hedwig for the closing ceremony. This ceremony is a great teachable moment for children. St. Hedwig Church will remain open till 10:00 pm.
· Good Friday: Celebration of the Liturgy of the Word, Veneration of the Cross and Communion begin at 12:00 noon in Holy Name Church. The collection is for the Holy Land. Good Friday is a day of fast & abstinence.
· Blessing of Easter Foods: will take place on Saturday, March 31 – 12 noon – Holy Name Church.
· Holy Saturday – Easter Vigil: 5:00 pm Holy Name Church.
· Easter Sunday: 9:00 am at St. Joseph Church, 11:30 am Holy Name Church.
REMEMBER IN PRAYERS OF SUPPORT those making their faith journey through RCIA. Please remember and support in daily prayer Alisha Reed, Emma McGurk-Sowa, Erika Pollak, Terri Pollak, and Dana Pollak.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER our CCD Second Graders who will be making their First Communion April 28 and the Confirmation Candidates from Christ the Light of the World, St. Joseph, St. Agnes, and Holy Trinity Parishes who will be celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation on Wednesday, April 25 at St. Mark Parish in Port Vue.
ALTAR SERVER PRACTICE FOR HOLY WEEK:
Holy Thursday Mass and Procession: 6:15 PM before Mass and Outdoor Procession
Good Friday: 11:15 AM before Noon Good Friday Service
Easter Vigil: 12:30 PM after the Blessing of Food.
NEWLY BAPTIZED: Congratulations to the family of Duylan Michael Opel who has been baptized into God’s family.
UPCOMING PARISH ACTIVITIES
SUNDAY.......... MAR. 25..... PALM SUNDAY BREAKFAST HN Church Hall – 9 AM – 1:30 PM
SUNDAY.......... MAR. 25..... CCD – ALL GRADES..................................... 9:30 –11:15 AM
SATURDAY..... MAR. 31..... BLESSING OF EASTER FOODS........... HN Church – 12 PM
HOAGIE SALE APRIL 7-8 WEEKEND: Our next Hoagie Sale will be the weekend after Easter: April 7th & 8th. We frequently sell out so we encourage you to call in your order in advance (412-469-0196). This will give us a better idea of how many hoagies to make so we don’t disappoint anyone. As always, we need volunteers to help build them on Saturday morning beginning at 8:00am in Holy Name Hall. We also need volunteers to help sell hoagies before and after weekend Masses. If you can help at the Mass you attend call the office: 412-469-0196.
EASTER BUNNY RAFFLE: Tickets have been mailed out to all parishioners. This raffle runs from April 1 thru May 4 with a $100.00 winner each day, except Easter Sunday & May 4th - $200.00 prize. The winner is based on the PA daily 3 digit evening lottery. This is a great way to support YOUR parish. All sold and unsold tickets must be returned by April 1 (Easter) or in the Easter Sunday collection. If you need more, call the rectory.
PASSOVER SEDER MEAL: Palm Sunday, March 25 from 3:00 – 5:30 PM. At St. Rita Social Hall in Whitaker, Pa. This meal is based on the Jewish Passover Meal. For more information and reservations, please call 412-461-8087 or email Fr. Ed Czmerda at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 18.
KENTUCKY MISSION CENTER UPDATE: As of March 31, 2018, the warehouse and thrift store of the Fr. Beiting Appalachian Mission Center will be permanently closed. When Father died three years ago, the Diocese of Lexington was operating the Mission Center. The Diocese was struggling financially for a number of years even before Fr. Beiting died, and it can no longer provide funding for the Mission center. Because of this circumstance, I will no longer be accepting items for the Mission Center. I want to thank all of you for your support of the Mission Center over the past 12 years. Let us remember our “spiritual kinfolk” in Appalachia in prayer. Thanks.
YEARLY CONTRIBUTION INCOME TAX STATEMENTS: Anyone wishing their 2017 Church Donations for income tax purposes should call the church office. They will be sent on Fridays each week.