5:00 pm [HN] - Inez Rapacchietta & Mary Sporio (Frank/Louise Rapacchietta)
8:30 am [SH] - Frank Belback (family)
10:00 am [HN] - Michael & Kata Tomas/Drago Spudic (Tomas Family)
10:00 am [SJ] - No Mass
12:00 pm [HN] - No Mass
12:00 pm [HN] - John & Teresa Ragan (Bill/Mary Adams)
12:00 pm [HN] - John, Eleanor, Marie Allas (Sharon Allas)
8:00 am [HN] - No Mass
5:00 pm [HN] - Beatrice Bonacci (children)
8:30 am [SH] - Mass of Thanksgiving – Lawrence Adams
10:00 am [HN] - Stephen & Josephine Adams (Jean Petroski)
July 6 - Saturday - 5:00 pm - Brittany Davis & Madison Lapp
July 7 - Sunday - 10:00 am - Kevin & Anita Funa
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
We would like to welcome Fred & Bernadette D’Antonio, who have joined our parish this week.
REST IN PEACE
Please remember Patricia Anderson, who died and rose to new life with the Lord this week.
FORMER DUQUESNE MAN TO BE ORDAINED THIS WEEKEND
Larry Adams, a former resident of West Mifflin and former member of St. Hedwig who served as an altar boy there for several years, was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Pittsburgh this past Saturday, June 29 in St. Paul Cathedral by Bishop David Zubik. Larry will offer his First Mass of Thanksgiving at his home parish of St. Germaine in Bethel Park on Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 11:30 am in the morning. I have invited Larry to offer a Mass of Thanksgiving here in Duquesne. He will offer Mass next Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 8:30 am in the St. Hedwig Church. Anyone who wishes is invited to be present and celebrate with Larry and his family.
Larry is the only priest being ordained this year for the Diocese of Pittsburgh. On Saturday morning, immediately after his ordination, he will be given the parish assignment where he will serve for the next six years. We would ask that you keep him in prayer as he begins his ministry. May he be as blest in his parish assignment as I have been in the three assignments that I received in my 40 years of ordination.
JOINT PARISH PICNIC PLANNING
We are planning a “Joint Parish Family Picnic” sometime in the late summer or early Fall. We have had some interest and would like to continue to concretize the plans. There will be a meeting for anyone who wants to help or participate on Tuesday, June 25 at 6:30 pm in the Holy Name Hall. If you want to help or participate and can’t make the meeting, give Doug Vranish (412-969-8222.)
ANNUAL INDOOR/OUTDOOR FLEA MARKET BEGINS
Let the fun begin!! This is the last week that we will be accepting your donations for this wonderful summer event to be held in the Holy Name Hall this Friday, Saturday and Monday, July 5, 6, & 8. We will take anything that you wish to donate except tires, plants, clothes, computer equipment. The last day to bring your donations is THIS TUESDAY, JUNE 2nd. No donations will be accepted after that day.
- Chinese Auction Prizes: If anyone would like to donate a specialty basket or a prize for the Chinese Auction, please let us know. If you drop them off please put your name on it so we can make sure it gets placed in the proper area.
- Food Items: Our menu this year will consist of: Meatball Sandwiches, Hot Dogs, Keilbasi & Kraut, Haluski; Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, pop, water. Stop by for lunch or get some take out items. The socialization is great.
- Donations: If anyone would like to make a donation of these items above or a monetary donation to help defray the cost, give Terry Fuller (412-466-4223) or Debbie Lesko (412-297-1732) a call.
- Baked Goods Sale: We will be offering a variety of baked goods. Please plan on baking something to be sold on one of the days or all three.
- Volunteers: If you would like to help work the event on Friday, Saturday & Monday, July 5, 6 & 8 give Louise a call (412-466-5317.) The sale goes from 8 am – 2 pm (Friday & Saturday) and 8 am – 1 pm (Monday.) There are lots of jobs needed to make this a success.
- More Volunteers: Fr. Dennis needs help with the outdoor portion of this sale. We need lots of volunteers at 7 am to set up. With enough help it takes about 1 hour. He also needs people to stay for the sale. And we need help at 1:30 pm to help with tear down. If you can help any or all 3 days, give Fr. Dennis a call.
- Items for Sale: There are lots and lots of great items for sale. There is lots of furniture, household items, televisions, and lamps, anything to fully furnish a house or your child’s college dorm room or apartment.
- Special Book Sale: We have such a monumental donation of books, that we are making a special offer. Fill a box with books for $3.00.
CHURCH VOTIVE CANDLES BEING REVISITED
In doing next year’s parish budgets for both parishes, we discovered that because of the rising costs of manufacturing and shipping, votive candles provided for the parishioners as a beautiful sacramental were becoming an added expense to the parish and we were taking funds from our ordinary income to pay for this convenience when they should be paying for themselves. The pastor and both finance councils recommend that the donation for 7 day votive candles will now be $5.00 and the 4 hour votives will be $1.00 each. We want to keep the beautiful tradition alive as long as we possible can. Lighting a candle in church is meaningful, prayerful and in many ways sentimental. Thank you for making this continue.
SIGHT AND SOUND THEATER
The Women’s Focus Group is sponsoring a trip to Lancaster, Pa. to see “Noah.” There are flyers around the churches with all the information that you need to make reservations and participate.
PARISH SHARE PROGRAM UPDATE
To date, we have received $28,614.00 in outright donations and pledge payments towards our goal of $54,074.00 from 154 participants. This leaves us a balance of $25,460.00 which must be paid by December. Any amount we may go over this goal remains in the parish tax free.
Food for Thought: If 254 people make a minimum donation of $100.00, we would hit our goal. However, every donation no matter how great or small is greatly appreciated.
VICTIMS ASSITANCE HOTLINE NUMBER
The Diocese of Pittsburgh offers assistance with counseling, spiritual direction and referrals to other supportive services to those who have been victims of abuse. For information on any of these supportive services, we invite you to contact our Diocesan Assistance Coordinator (412-456-3060) or 1- 888 -808-1235.
1 Kgs. 19: 16 - 21 Gal. 5: 13 - 18 Luke 9: 51 -62
$ 3,417.10 - June 23, 2013 Offertory
$ 382.00 - Parish Religious Education Programs
$ 261.00 - Peter's Pence
$ 175.00 - Love Gift Donations (4)
NEXT WEEK'S SECOND ENVELOPE
Next week's second envelope will be for Pairsh Upkeep & Maintenance.