5:00 pm [HN] - Andrew/Lena Bondi & Steve Mols (family)
8:30 am [SH] - Matilda Belan (Barb Tomosick)
10:00 am [HN] - Carl Denne & John Dubyak (family)
12:00 pm [HN] - No Mass
12:00 pm [HN] - No Mass
12:00 pm [HN] - No Mass
12:00 pm [HN] - Judy Adams (Connolly Family)
6:00 pm [HN] - Fred Barker (family)
8:00 am [HN] - No Mass
Saturday/Sunday5:00 pm [HN] - Bess Stipetich/Eleanor Shroads/Phyllis Nestor (Carol/Garret Shroads)
8:30 am [SH] - Joseph Serenka (Jean Onderko)
10:00 am [HN] - Michelle Jugan (Dave Breznak)
May 9 - Saturday - 5:00 pm - Faith & Frank Provance
May 11 - Saturday - 5:00 pm - Dylan & Alexandra Ernst
May 12 - Sunday - 10:00 am - Justin Molanick & Josh Revak
REST IN PEACE
Please remember Richard Andrejchak and George Ragan who died and rose to new life with the Lord this past week.
40 YEARS AND COUNTING
Forty years ago, May 5, 1973 twenty seven seminarians walked down the aisle of St. Paul Cathedral to be ordained as priests for the Diocesan Church of Pittsburgh by Bishop Vincent Leonard. We were and still are the largest class ever to be ordained for Pittsburgh. We were full of hopes and dreams, finally after years of studying able to do want we were trained to do but more importantly do what God called us to do and that is minister to and serve the people in whatever part of this Diocese we were assigned.
Personally, I spent 5 years in St. Titus, Aliquippa and 5 years in Our Lady of Lourdes, Burgettstown and for the last 30 years had the privilege of serving the churches in the City of Duquesne. There are 17 of my classmates still ministering. Some names you might be familiar with: Tom Dansak, Dave Schorr, Regis Farmer, Lou Vallone. The church we were ordained for is very different than the church we work in now, but the motto we lived by 40 years ago and still today is the same: “serve the people, love the people, bring Jesus to them.”
We are a very unique class with many different personalities but all have the same love for the church and it’s people. Me for my part would like to thank God for the privilege of serving the people of the Duquesne parishes for 30 of those 40 years. You are like family to me. I have lived, worked, prayed and loved you longer than I have anywhere even my birth family. Even more intense are my feelings, since I “dropped the bomb” about my health issue just one month ago. Thank you for the prayers, love, care and concern. Thank your for being there on my journey. I will do my best as long as God allows me to continue to serve you to the best of my ability.
FEAST OF THE ASCENSION OF THE LORD
This Thursday, May 9 is the Feast of the Ascension. The schedule for Masses is 12:00 pm at Holy Name and 6:00 pm at Holy Name.
SEASONAL WEEKEND MASS SCHEDULE
Beginning this weekend, May 4/ 5 thru August 31/Sept. 1, we will be returning to our “Summer Weekend Mass Schedule.” Saturday evening – 5:00 pm – Holy Name Church; Sunday morning – 8:30 am – St. Hedwig Church; Sunday morning – 10:00 am – Holy Name Church. Keep this handy for easy reference.
ED CAPRISTO MEMORIAL JOINT PARISH GOLF OUTING
Plans are well underway for our ninth annual “Ed Capristo Memorial” Joint Parish Golf Outing to be held on Monday, June 17 at the Youghigheny Golf Club in Elizabeth Twp. This is a yearly major fundraiser for both of our parishes and we hope that you will participate in some way. Listed is a time line on how things will progress starting this weekend.
- Golfing Invitations: On Friday, announcements & invitations were sent to last years golfers giving them the first opportunity to secure their place again in the outing this year. We have only 128 golfers and usually there is a waiting list.
- All Cash Raffle: Next week, we will be sending invitation letters to parishioners inviting them to participate in the “All Cash Raffle.” You will be invited to buy/sell 4 tickets. They are $2.00 each with two numbers. The prizes are $1,000.00 if the number hits on the evening PA lottery on June 17. There is also a winner of $250.00 for one number above and below the winning number. A $10,000.00 prize will be given if that number also hits on July 4, 2013.
- Participation Invitations: On May 18, we will be attaching flyers to all the bulletins inviting parishioners to participate in various ways by volunteering, donating gifts/prizes, attending the outing or coming just for dinner.
LIVER DONOR NEEDED
To my fellow parishioners: I have end stage liver disease. At this point, I need a liver from a cadaver or a procedure called a living donor program. To participate, you need to be 55 years or younger. I have a telephone number if you are interested or know of someone who might be interested in helping me save my life. Call the Starzell institute for transfusion (412-647-5800.) Mention my name Ted Zepp and they will take you from there at no cost to you.
EASTER BUNNY RAFFLE WINNERS
April 24 - #255 (unpurchased); April 25 - #961 (N. Andres); April 26 - #112 (unpurchased); April 27 - #329 (Schleifer); April 28 - #623 (unpurchased); April 29 - #467 (unpurchased); April 30 - #144 (unpurchased.) Thanks to everyone who supports our fundraising efforts to keep our parishes fiscally sound.
PROTECTING GOD'S CHILDREN
Christ the Light of the World will be hosting a “Protecting God’s Children” workshop on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 9:00 am in the Holy Name Hall. This informative workshop is part of the requirement for those volunteering in any way at a parish. Discussed will be how child abusers groom their victims; signs to look out for and ways to prevent child abuse. The class is free of charge. There is no test. To register, call the rectory (421-469-0196) or email Terry at: email@example.com.
MIKE'S FIGHT - BEING CHRIST FOR OTHERS
JOIN THE FIGHT to support the Mike and Megan Walters family as they battle Mike’s aggressive form of leukemia and do what we do best………. HELP OTHERS!
- Special French Wine Raffle – We have received a donation of 2 bottles of fine French Wines from the vineyards of “Baronnie d’Estouard Chateauneuf de Pape (1 red & 1 white – valued over $800.00.) Tickets are $10.00. Each ticket has 2 chances. Drawing based on the Pa. Evening Daily 3 digit number on December 1, 2013. Give these tickets as presents throughout the year (i.e. Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Birthday Days, Anniversaries.) We thought these would make a great Christmas present to give for the winner. Contact the church office by phone or mail and we will send you the tickets you need or email firstname.lastname@example.org to order your ticket. If anyone would like to take some tickets to sell, let us know.
- Online Giving: We have set up a “bucket” on the parish website so donations can be given electronically. We are going to have a “link” on the site so everyone can be informed and updated.
- Donations: Monetary donations can be sent to the rectory. Make checks to “Friends of the Needy” on the memo line note “Mikes Fight.”
DUQUESNE COMMUNITY, HEALTH & RESOURCE FAIR
This event will take place on Saturday, May 11 in the Duquesne/McKeesport Masonic Hall, 1200 Clonmel St. (near Kennywood) from 10 am – 2 pm. There will be free screenings, a stress management workshop, food and valuable information for all.
Acts 15: 1- 2, 22 - 29 Revs. 21: 10 – 14, 22- 23 John 14: 23 - 29
$ 4,447.75 - April 28, 2013 Easter Offertory
$ 613.00 - Parish Religious Education
$ 946.00 - Utilities
$ 125.00 - Love Gift Donations (3)