5:00 pm [HN] - Gert Kollar (M/M George Yanicko)
9:00 am [SJ] - Dorothy Cerepani (Sekowski Famly)
11:30 am [HN] - John "Pianoman" Jubak (Jim/Nancy McConnell)
12:00 pm [HN] - Marian Horvat (brother, Jan)
12:00 pm [HN] - Rita Flaherty Nedzbala (family)
12:00 pm [HN] - John & Anna Merisko (family)
12:00 pm [SH] - Elizabeth Vasnecki (Andy & Natalie McBride)
8:30 am [SJ] - Bill Koller (Gerry Mateya)
Next Saturday/Sunday5:00 pm [HN] - John Bitkowski (Dr. & Mrs. Joe Michaels)
9:00 am [SJ] - Mary Janusek (Paul & Marian Eastman)
11:30 am [HN] - Bruno Kruszka (M/M William Schuesslar)
February 18 - Saturday, 5:00 pm - Dylan Ernst & Justin Molanick
February 19 - Sunday, 9:00 am - Zack Denne & Tyler Gedman
February 19 - Sunday, 11:30 am - Kevin & Anita Funa
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
We would like to welcome Melinda Kelly, who has come to join our parish this week.
Congratulations to the family of Taliyah Marie Andreoli, who is baptized this week.
REST IN PEACE
Please remember Barry Laurnavich, who died and rose to new life with the Lord.
SEASON OF LENT 10 DAYS AWAY
Ash Wednesday, February 22 will begin the great Springtime Season of Lent. The weather this winter has made it feel spring-like but this springtime spiritual season will soon be here. We wanted to start to inform you of the things that will be going on so you will be ready. Also, in many ways the Lent will have a different feel and look. So be prepared!!!
- Ash Wednesday - we will have a short ash distribution service at 7:00 am in Holy Name Church. Mass with ashes at 12 noon in Holy Name Church. An ash distribution service at 6:00 pm in St. Joseph Church.
- You’re Invited - Because of the environmental and mechanical issues surrounding the mold issue in St. Joseph Hall, there will be no fish fry there this year. Christ the Light of the World Parish will have a fish fry on Ash Wednesday and would like to personally invite the workers from St. Joseph to join them. If anyone from either parish would like to participate in this way call Sonny Wiatrowski (412-303-5106) or Larry Lesko (412-297-1732.)
- Guest Chefs – This year, we are offering a “hearty homemade vegetarian vegetable soup” as an eat-in or take-home item. It is entitled, “Out of this world heavenly soup.” The guest chefs who volunteered to make the soup are Fr. Dennis and Ray Judy. Take home portions are $5.00 a quart. Call the rectory to place your order. A limited amount of soup will be sold. It will be sold and served in 12 oz. portions during the fish fry, as an eat-in item also.
UPKEEP & MAINTENANCE OF OUR PARISH FACILITIES
It is imperative that in order to keep our parish facilities beautiful and functional, we must be diligent about maintaining them. Recently, I have noticed that over the years, two high traffic areas of our churches needed to be addressed. This coming week, February 14 & 15, Ted Skepanski Floor Cleaning Services will perform the following work. Mass may need to be moved to another building on those days. There will be a when and where sign on the door if needed.
- Holy Name Church – Entrance way – There is a build up of strip sealer and wax on the ceramic tile floor. It will be machine stripped and (3) coats of hi-solid thermoplastic finish will be applied.
- St. Joseph Church – Main Altar – Previously wax was put on over a dirty floor. A build up of excessive wax occurred. The main altar, steps and communion rail will be stripped and (3) coats of hi-solid thermoplastic finish will be applied.
You are informed so you might know how your Upkeep/Maintenance/Repair donations are spent.
EASTER BUNNY RAFFLE
The last holiday raffle was so successful, we are going to try one for the Easter season. For a $10.00 donation, each ticket gives you 36 chances to win, commencing on Easter Sunday, April 8 through Mother’s Day, May 13. There is $100.00 winner each day, except for Easter Sunday and Mother’s Day which has a $200.00 prize.
The tickets were mailed this week. If you would like extra for Easter gifts or Easter Basket stuffers, call the rectory and we will send you some OR mail your request and donation and we will send you the ticket that you need.
YOUR 2 FOR 1 CHALLENGE DONATIONS AT WORK
The issues with the physical plant and buildings seem like a never ending challenge. Most recently, we have noticed that the marbleized walls behind the piano and next to the tabernacle and the wall next to the baptismal font are deteriorating and crumbling due to another water invasion. To address this issue and identify the problem, I gathered a team of people familiar with these issues – the parish facilities manager, our local parish roofer, the scaffolding contractor and paint contractor (who will be fixing the ceiling in Holy Name Church shortly) to find the problem and recommend resolutions. Thanks to the good weather, they were able to climb into the bowels of the church ceiling and onto the roof. What they found was the flashing, gutters and chimney on the right side were deteriorated and allowing water to leach all the way down the wall and the chimney on the left side of the church was ready to fall and thus allowing for water infiltration. I am hoping that our insurance carrier will cover the cost of repairs. If not, your continual 2 for 1 challenge dollars will be put to good use. I often wonder what we would have done if this challenge was not available to us these past 3 years.
In our continual journey to keep the physical plant of the parish looking good and making in house needed improvements, we have realized that there are some basic tools we do not have and are necessary to accomplish our present, ongoing and future tasks in a professional manner. If anyone would like to purchase a new or used compound sliding miter saw with a 12” blade, call Ray Judy (412-518-2152.)
YEAR END CONTRIBUTION STATEMENTS
We would like to notify all of our parishioners that their 2011 contribution statements are available for your annual income tax preparation. You can call the rectory or leave your name on the voice mail and we will prepare them. We will send them to you the Friday after you call.
A DAY TOGETHER
“To learn what it means to live the Eucharist,” sponsored by the Pgh Catholic Men’s Fellowship. Whether you are a father, grandfather, single man or son; whatever your level of spiritual fitness, you can direct your thoughts and energy towards fostering a stronger relationship with God, family, spouse, friends and co-workers. This day will be held on Saturday, April 14 at the A. J. Palumbo Center, Duquesne University. For information, contact Paul Ruhl (412-680-6383) or firstname.lastname@example.org or Patrick Kerr (412-999-5272) or email@example.com.
WOMEN'S CLUB OF DUQUESNE
The Women's Club of Duquesne is sponsoring a brown bag lunch bingo on Sunday, March 4 at Sts. Peter & Paul Church, Duquesne. Doors open at 12 noon; early birds – 1:00 pm. Donation is $10.00. Door prizes, Chinese auction, share the wealth. For information or reservations, call Jeanne (412-466-80590) or (412-466-8535.)
Job 7: 1 - 4, 6 - 7 1 Cor. 9: 16 - 19, 22 - 23 Mark 1: 29 - 39
$ 5,375.50 - February 5, 2012 Offertory
$ 1,833.00 - Parish Upkeep & Maintenance Programs
$ 505.00 - St. Hedwig Furnace Donations Received This Week ($16,221.00 total so far)
$ 145.00 - Love Gift Donations (7)