From the Pastor's Desk

Weekly thoughts and announcements from our Pastor, Fr. Tom Lewandowski.

A Flicker of Hope!

Last weekend, when the “bomb” on my most recent health diagnosis was dropped,  an immediate volcanic eruption of love and prayers for me was released into the universe.  I truly believe that this eruption has caused the “Flicker of Hope” that I received on Monday afternoon.  On my visit to my primary care physican, he informed me that I have “lower body muscular neuron disease.”  He informed me that the disease takes on many forms or personalities and sometimes masks itself as another disease.  A definite diagnosis is confirmed only after a series of elimination tests.  He told me at this point, based on the results and evidence “It is inconclusive that I have full blown ALS/Lou Gehrig’s Disease.”  This news is a “flicker of hope.” He was at a loss why the neurologist diagnosed me last Thursday with get your affairs in order, tell your family, you have 3 to 5 years.  I believe that the eruption of prayers and love caused this flicker.  The positive energy caused by the love and prayers is real and present.  After one year of visiting various doctors and not receiving any positive results, I am going to hold on to this “good news” as a hopeful sign.  I am going to live life to the best of my ability and to its fullest.  When the time comes for my final diagnosis, then I will deal with it as best as I can.

Good things and blessings from this have already happened.  People are talking to each other, people are praying more than they have in quite a while.  Much more is there to be learned on this transitional journey.

Thank You:  for the outpouring of love, prayers and concern….for the cards, emails, gifts, flowers, food, etc….for anyone who has offered help and assistance….I am humbled and grateful for your love and prayers.

The Next Steps:  The next step in this ongoing process is that I have an appointment with the ALS Clinic and Dr. Lacomis in Pgh. on May 6 for testing, recommendations, etc. On June 10, I meet again with my PCP to go over the results and decide on the next steps and a course of action if necessary.